Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Southern Tortellini Soup

I get a number of food related emails. One of them is from MyRecipes.com, a daily email with a “Tonight’s Dinner” suggestion. I almost never make the Tonight’s Dinner recipe on that same night, but I still see plenty of recipes fly into my inbox that I want to make, so I just jot them down for later.

The recipe I pulled for tonight was from one of those emails. It was for Southern Tortellini Soup. It was started with sautéed chopped onions and garlic. Wine and chicken broth were followed by collard greens, green beans, diced Italian-seasoned tomatoes, parsley, rosemary, a little cracked red pepper, and finally tortellini pasta. It called for cheese tortellini, but I actually used a roast chicken tortellini with a hearty dose of cheese shredded on top of the soup for serving, but you could really substitute any filled tortellini for which you crave, or even a mixture.

Although I probably would add a little more liquid next time, the taste was nice and I wouldn’t hesitate to make it again. I would, however, take care to halve the recipe if it were just for the two of us again. I often go ahead and make full soup recipes, because we can typically eat them pretty fast. But for some reason with this recipe, we are going to be eating it for days. It made a giant pot. I could have fed the entire neighborhood! The good news, though, is that soup freezes well so I could stash a tub away if I want. And it would definitely make a good recipe for party, potluck, or company in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment